Sunday, May 11, 2014

First Communion Cake

This weekend was my daughter's First Communion. We sketched up a cake idea together and this is how it turned out. 

I baked a Funfetti box cake mix in a 9x13 pan. After it baked and cooled, I put a piece of wax paper on top and drew out my cross shape until I got it right, then cut it. I used the cut-away corners to build a second layer to make it a taller cake. (I put the pieced together layer as the bottom and the solid cross on top with white icing in between.) 

I used white store-bought icing and did a crumb coat. Then I made a batch of white homemade fondant and rolled it out to cover the whole cake.

I tinted a can of store-bought icing light purple and piped tiny flowers around the top edge of the cross to define the edges. I then piped slightly larger flowers around the bottom to hide the fondant edge. 

I cut a small circle out of Candy Clay for the host and used a toothpick to draw a cross. I used the toothpick to lightly draw a chalice outline in the fondant, then I piped the outline with white icing, and filled it in with gold sprinkles. 

Cake is done!  It looked great and tasted great and my daughter loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment