Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bedding Set for a Doll

My daughter Hannah and I went to a new quilt shop in town.  They have a ton of fabric to choose from and Hannah was drawn to the shelf full of fat quarters.  I told her she could pick two and we would come up with something to make, but she couldn't decide on just two.  I told her she could have three if she told me what she wanted to make with them.  She said she wanted to make a bedding set for Rosalina - her "American Girl" doll.  (Don't tell her, but it isn't really AG.  It came from Target and it was about a third the price of a real one.)  It's a deal!  I'll give it my best shot.

First up was the pillow.  Hannah chose the blue fabric for this and she requested ruffles.  This is what I came up with.  I gave her the job stuffing the pillow after it was sewn, while I moved on to the fitted sheet.

She wanted the gold (looks brown in the photos) fabric for the fitted sheet.  I boxed off the corners and then hemmed all the way around the edge.  I ran a narrow elastic through the hem.  And that's all there was to it.  The mattress is a small, rectangular pillow.

And now for the blanket.  Hannah saved the purple fabric for this.  I had a small section of the blue leftover after the pillow, so I sewed that across the top.  I cut a piece of white fleece the same size as the blue and purple fabric.  Then I put the right sides together and sewed almost all the way around the edge, leaving a small gap for turning it right side out.  I trimmed the edges, clipped the corners, and turned it, making sure to get as crisp of corners as possible.  Then I topstitched all the way around the top, near the edge.  And done.

Now Rosalina can nap in style!
Rosalina wearing an outfit I made for Hannah's birthday

Once again, things turned out better than I expected, so I didn't take in-progress photos, not anticipating a post about it.  If you have questions about any of it, leave a comment and I will try to answer.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment